VPN

Discussion of Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Firewalls, OS patches, and all matters relating to the securing our computers.
Pete 58

VPN

Post by Pete 58 » August 29th, 2017, 11:26 pm

I have been reading a lot about VPN's. I understand they hide you ip address and make it harder for someone to steal your information or passwords. I registered for PIA for $6.95 a month but had a hard time installing it and requested a refund. Is anyone using a VPN and if so which one, I would be installing it on windows 10 and my firestick so it would have to be compatible with both.

wd
Site Admin

Re: VPN

Post by wd » August 30th, 2017, 9:16 am

first you are only protected inside the tunnel when you pop out and you will you have same issues you would normally have but just from a different country (data is only encrypted in the tunnel)
things can still be stolen and you can still get infected and passwords can still be compromised
its mostly good for people in countries where content is blocked by providers in that country
but you are not safer and you do not know what the provider is logging sniffing or selling like your info or injecting frames to make sure you see certain adds etc

Pete 58

Post by Pete 58 » August 30th, 2017, 10:18 am

I was mainly going to get a VPN to use with my Firestick, I read where your cable provider may get alarmed when they see an increase in video streaming. I guess I'll do without it since I only watch a few tv shows and a occasional movie on the firestick. It doesn't sound like it would do much to secure my pc, thanks for your thoughts.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » August 30th, 2017, 2:58 pm

i stream all the time my provider never said a word and better not lol
and that would not do anything to prevent them from seeing a traffic increase at all you will still be using bandwidth they just cant read it lol but they will see packets going by

Return to “Securing Your System”