A few hours at Bushkill (lots of pics warning....)

Discuss your Photography: Digital or Film. Post links to photos you would like to display.
Irabbit
Site Admin

Re: A few hours at Bushkill (lots of pics warning....)

Post by Irabbit » March 29th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Not knowing what your experience with this sort of thing is I will mention something that you may already be familiar with.

The jpg format is a "lossy" format and each time you save a picture it will degrade the picture quality. If you are going to work with jpg format pictures then you will want to do a "Save as" and give it a new name each time you do a save. This will preserve the quality. The best thing is not to work on jpg in the first place, but be sure to save in the proprietary format of the program you are using. They are all (to my knowledge) "non-lossy" formats and will not reduce the quality no matter how many times you save it. After finishing whatever processing you wish to do then it will be necessary to save as a jpg or tif in order to have them accessible by anyone you might want to send them to. Generally, if you want to send them you will probably want to use a jpg format for that purpose. The tif format is a non-lossy format and it preserves more data than the jpg format does and provides a higher quality picture. The downside of the tif format is it creates a much larger file size than the jpg format.

The best option is to shoot in RAW format if your camera supports that and use whatever program came with your camera to do the initial processing. The RAW format retains all the data that was captured by the camera and provides more data to work with for processing and therefore provides better results than working with a jpg. The jpg format from the camera has already been processed by the camera's built in software and then it discards a significant amount of the original data which was captured. So working with a jpg you are now using a file that has does not have all the original data which can produce less desirable results than working with the RAW or tif file. I.E., if your white balance is off when you take the picture, you probably will have a harder time correcting that than if you are working with a RAW format file and you may not be able to fully correct it using a jpg.

irrelevant
Site Admin

Post by irrelevant » March 30th, 2012, 12:07 pm

Thanks all... I'm finally on an actual PC.

OK, to try to answer all questions.

The pictures were taken more to experiment with what sort of results I could get, and to play with a new lens.

All pics were taken in full manual mode, and saved as both Raw and JPG (Both because I can only open JPG files easily at the office). The pictures here came from JPG on the camera, re-sized as part of the upload to photobucket, and then re-sized again to get them to be a little more web friendly. I do have everything as raw though, and know that there could be some corrections made to the images from there.

the shots I didn't give a second chance indicate that I wasn't paying much attention to the light meter. some of them later on in the day I did pay attention to. I didn't take good notes (well, any) so have no clue where it might have changed, but basically I wasn't paying much notice of under/over exposure.

the question regarding processing, is more about what I'll use, not software, but more what processing I'd want to do to a picture. Gimp seems fairly feature rich, if not terribly user friendly so I figure I will probably start there, or aim for there via a few free but more user-friendly options.

I'm pretty sure my white balance was set to 6700k, but I'm not at my camera to verify :)

any more suggestions? or ideas of something that would make a good subject for my experimentation?

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » March 30th, 2012, 12:34 pm

hmmm
5200k is considered daylight u might want to play with that :)

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » March 30th, 2012, 12:35 pm

hmmm
5200k is considered daylight u might want to play with that :)

irrelevant
Site Admin

Post by irrelevant » March 30th, 2012, 12:50 pm

I really need to check that, it might be set to automatic also.

but shouldn't affect the raw shots anyway :)

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » March 30th, 2012, 1:03 pm

What processing you want to do will, at least to some extent, depend on what you envision for the shot. Is it too dark? Not if that is what you want to show. Do you need to crop, again depends on how you want to present the picture. I try to work from what I want to show, not what I think someone else wants to see. I have had some pics that I thought was absolutely fabulous and nobody else cared for them at all. So be it. You are the artist. If what you see is not how you wanted it be, then whatever is different from what you envisioned is what needs to be edited.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » March 30th, 2012, 7:22 pm

5200 will just change overall color temp as u move up and down the kelvin scale u will see color diff ....in photoshop i can move that around to warm or cool the overall feel ...nothing to do with all the other stuff :)
like 3200 will make your room light bulbs not look yellow
if u want u can send me the RAW photo of the 2nd shot i will bring it up in photoshop and change the color temp so u can see what i mean :)
nicer to get it in the camera when u shoot but it will show u how the color temp changes the warmth or coolness of the shot

irrelevant
Site Admin

Post by irrelevant » March 30th, 2012, 10:58 pm

looks like white balance was set to auto :oops:

Return to “Photography”