2 teaspoons coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 5 ounces each), butterflied
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
10 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
2 cups sweet Marsala wine
1 clove garlic, finely minced
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (of 1 lemon)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley

Directions
1.Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a large shallow dish; set aside. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Dredge chicken in seasoned flour, tapping off excess; set aside. Add oil to skillet. When oil is shimmering, add chicken, and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Turn over, and cook 3 minutes more. Remove chicken to a plate; set aside and keep warm.
2.Heat 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet. Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden brown and all the released liquid has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes.
3.Remove skillet from heat, and add wine. Return skillet to heat, scraping up any brown bits with a wooden spoon. Add garlic, lemon juice, remaining 2 tablespoons butter, and parsley. Cook for 2 minutes until reduced and slightly thickened. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.
Combine it with Blanched Spinach with Olive Oil & Lemon

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds baby spinach leaves, washed, with water still clinging to leaves
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 minced garlic clove
2 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 lemon

Directions
1.In a medium sauce pot over medium heat, add the spinach leaves and cook just until wilted.
2.In a medium saute pan on medium high heat, add extra virgin olive oil, then minced garlic. Saute 30 seconds.
3.Immediately pull spinach from pot and add it to saute pan with garlic. Saute 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and squeeze 1/2 lemon juice over top. Serve.

proteus459
Enlightened Contributor

Re: Chicken Marsala

Post by proteus459 » March 21st, 2011, 7:23 am

TWO TEASPOONS of salt in the coating?? Is Martha mad??

This brings to mind a lass I knew at university who took it upon herself to bake me a peach pie... my favorite. She rang up mum and asked for the family recipe even though making breakfast cereal was a challenge for her. She must have had a dodgy connection because when mum read that she should add "a level teaspoon of salt", dear daughter heard "eleven teaspoons of salt"....

I think I would make this dish with a quarter of the salt and add to taste afterward. I find that foods made with this much wine need very little salt. I would rather substitute Italian seasoned or Panko bread crumbs for flour in the coating and add a savory note rather than a salty one.

wd
Site Admin

Re: Chicken Marsala

Post by wd » March 21st, 2011, 1:39 pm

that's up to u :)

Return to “Cuisine & Libations”