Newbies that wanna try linux

This forum is for discussion of alternative operating systems such as Linux and Solaris.
jhjove

Newbies that wanna try linux

Post by jhjove » August 18th, 2010, 12:55 pm

For those of you that wanna give linux a look and are a bit hesistant, try ubuntu wubi:
WUBI = Windows UBuntu Installer
It creates a new boot option (selecting either windows or ubuntu during boot) and it can be uninstalled
through windows. It's not a perfect linux install due to the fact it resides in the NTFS
structure and is open to fragmentation. But it a very nice tool to get introduced to linux.

For more adventurous types, Linux Mint is an elegant soulution.
Mint is based on ubuntu but is generally more stable and easier to install. Mint is released typically
1-2 months after a ubuntu release. The software is downloaded as an iso file (CD or DVD; dvd gives more
software packages), then burn it. The disk created will be a "live" disk, giving the user an opportunity
try it only using the on-board RAM before fully installing.

NOTE: installing will partition the hard drive where windows resides. The installer needs a place
to put linux. It's for this reason that having a 2nd hard drive dedicated only to linux is a best
practice. This keeps windows in it's own hard drive world. The reason is M$ doesn't believe any other
file systems exist beside FAT/FAT32 and NTFS.

I've been experimenting and using Linux for about 10 years. I use SuSE, Redhat/Fedora Core; tried Mandriva,
Puppy, Slax but Mint is my favorite. On my Dell D600 laptop, I was installed and on the web in just over 30minutes.
Still have a dedicated XP desktop and a spare laptop drive with W7 loaded (swap it out of the DELL D600)
to keep me abreast of windows issues my friends and colleagues have. But all my day to day activities are
performed within the linux framework.

have fun,
Joe

WCCobra
Site Admin

Re: Newbies that wanna try linux

Post by WCCobra » August 19th, 2010, 8:12 pm

I love WUBI. It's a great program for anyone who just wants to use Linux without messing anything up. It installs like a normal program and can be removed just as easily. I'm going to give Mint Linux a go and see how I like it. I assume it has access to all the Ubuntu repositories like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc... right?

Fred0843

Post by Fred0843 » August 20th, 2010, 4:42 am

If you like Ubuntu you will like Linux-Mint 9.It's about the same,but easier to setup.The sources are already install in the Sources.list.Have fun.

irrelevant
Site Admin

Post by irrelevant » August 20th, 2010, 10:16 am

I've always been more of a fan of Live CDs than WUBI or anything that installs into a FAT/NTFS drive.

and my live CD of choice is probably Sabayon.

but if you're gonna use WUBI, be sure to defrag your C (or whatever) drive before hand. and remember that there is a performance hit from running from a windows drive, not as big as using a live CD, but it won't be as fast and snappy as if it was installed natively.

as an aside, does anyone know if WUBI is 32 bit only?

WCCobra
Site Admin

Post by WCCobra » August 20th, 2010, 10:32 am

I'm pretty sure it's x64 compatible

Fred0843

Post by Fred0843 » August 20th, 2010, 12:55 pm

I have used Ubuntu WUBI with Windows XP on a 64bit Computer with no problems.
It,s best to take the time to setup two Linux Paritions (ext4) Duel Boot.If you set it up on it's own Partitions.You will see it to be faster then Windows.You can use the 32bit version on a 64bit Computer.
I have tried both on a 64bit Computer.I do not see much difference in speed.If you have more 4GB Memory then you want to use 64bit.

irrelevant
Site Admin

Post by irrelevant » August 20th, 2010, 5:44 pm

I do notice a difference with 64 bit, and I have 8Gb memory.

but if you really want to see a difference, try gentoo linux with really really aggressive cflags.

but that's probably a topic for a different thread. :)

jhjove

Post by jhjove » August 23rd, 2010, 2:41 pm

I believe it does use the same repos as ubuntu. Most releases of Mint follow ~1month after a ubuntu release and tends to be more "polished"; hence a more stable easier install.
Have fun.
WCCobra wrote:I love WUBI. It's a great program for anyone who just wants to use Linux without messing anything up. It installs like a normal program and can be removed just as easily. I'm going to give Mint Linux a go and see how I like it. I assume it has access to all the Ubuntu repositories like Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc... right?

jhjove

Post by jhjove » August 23rd, 2010, 2:52 pm

Never used Sabayon but from reading some wikis on it I'll give it a spin. I used to run a knoppix live cd to debug a machine and/or a windows install.

Agree about defrag and the performance hit of WUBI. But then WUBI was really meant (at least for me) to get a taste of Linux without having to carve out some hard disk space.
irrelevant wrote:I've always been more of a fan of Live CDs than WUBI or anything that installs into a FAT/NTFS drive.

and my live CD of choice is probably Sabayon.

but if you're gonna use WUBI, be sure to defrag your C (or whatever) drive before hand. and remember that there is a performance hit from running from a windows drive, not as big as using a live CD, but it won't be as fast and snappy as if it was installed natively.

as an aside, does anyone know if WUBI is 32 bit only?

jhjove

Post by jhjove » August 23rd, 2010, 3:06 pm

There's one item I didn't mention; when I have done dual boot installs (one disk; 2 partitions) or (two disks; one for windows, the other for linux) I never modify the MBR on the windows disk. I create a floppy or a CD that has the MBR on how to boot the PC correctly. I made a mistake early on in my playing with windows and linux and almost screwed a windows install.

Return to “Alternative Operating Systems”