Windows 7 vs Ubuntu 10.04

This forum is for discussion of alternative operating systems such as Linux and Solaris.
WCCobra
Site Admin

Windows 7 vs Ubuntu 10.04

Post by WCCobra » September 16th, 2010, 9:23 pm

Is Linux finally ready for the mainstream? Barry Collins pits Ubuntu against Windows to find out.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/features/361135/ ... untu-10-04

wd
Site Admin

Re: Windows 7 vs Ubuntu 10.04

Post by wd » September 16th, 2010, 10:03 pm

that's going to be a long haul but it is a good os

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » September 17th, 2010, 1:52 pm

wd wrote:that's going to be a long haul but it is a good os
Agree totally. For all the basic stuff it works great, but for some things it doesn't match windows. For what I do OpenOffice is all I need, but other programs that are provided do not have the refinement/sophistication of the windows counterpart. I can't completely give up windows for some of the things I use windows for. Until programs such as financial, photo processing, etc., not just office suites and that ilk, that are in use by a significant portion of the users can provide the same level of refinement and sophistication of the windows product, it cannot catch windows. I am only 1 person - think of the millions of people that use windows and the diversity of use and the programs that are required to provide for that diversity. There is more involved than just an operating system and how easy it is to use, but what runs on that OS.

I also would not use it for a primary OS without the same protections that windows requires no matter how "safe" some think it is. Maybe set up as a separate stand alone product not connected to any other systems to just surf the web and any non-critical work that could be lost without causing any regrets/hardships, then if it got infected just wipe and reinstall the package as provided.

jhjove

Post by jhjove » September 27th, 2010, 9:12 am

"mainstream", you mean consumer? Linux in general is already a big participant in the backbone of R&D datacenters.

I believe Ubuntu is going to become more and more popular, but the biggest challenge to W7 will be from smartphones and iPad types. Consider most comsumer users are doing word processing, email, browsing, online shopping...those are things that can done with newer phones and iPad form factors.

Apple software and linux software are big players in these devices. Not sure how well M$ fits in with this scope.

WCCobra
Site Admin

Post by WCCobra » September 27th, 2010, 5:17 pm

Microsoft has always struggled in the phone market, however I think they stand a chance with the tablet market if they stay focused (unlikely... I know).

irrelevant
Site Admin

Post by irrelevant » September 28th, 2010, 12:24 pm

jhjove wrote:"mainstream", you mean consumer? Linux in general is already a big participant in the backbone of R&D datacenters.
I don't think datacenter use has ever been considered a mainstream usage of an OS.. has it?

Personally I don't think the usage is going to change terribly much from where it is now in the home market. Unless there's a big surge of internet appliances or suchlike.

If the average consumer were honest about their needs, chances are good it wouldn't go much past facebook, email and digital photography.. with the occasional user who would listen to digital music or watch digital movies.

something that simple is well within the capabilities of any modern OS, so long as it works. Right now windows is cheap when bundled with hardware; and there's a lot more support available than there is for linux. (How are you supposed to look for assistance with a problem leaving you unable to connect to the internet when the only support available is an online forum?)

I don't think people care much for the OS on phones or smart devices, more about capabilities and they are mostly the same.. the only market that might open would be the netbook one.

jhjove

Post by jhjove » September 28th, 2010, 1:35 pm

'Guess it all depends on the definition of mainstream. From a business point of view
mostly solaris/unix and linux are running these machines....machines that are up for months.

I think UBUNTU linux out of the box needs very little help. If the hardware vendors designed
for linux then there would very little discussion for windows. The biggest leap users
have to negotiate is the file system tree....converting from a "My Documents" form to
a "/home/user" form. For one thing, it would be easier for a user to find their files :idea: .
Personally I believe the big deciding factor for users to switch is gaming. This is something
that linux, as far as I know, doesn't support or care about? But a lot of users do.

Yea, I don't think windows is cheap. From the initial cost and then the man-hours
of debugging, downtime and registry corruptions (normal usage to viral) makes windows
very expensive. Come to think of it, how much cheaper would a new PC be if the cost was
only for the hardware and no software, no Windows badges stuck on the PC.
("Badges? We don't need no stinkin' Badges"). Sorry for movie quote. :)
irrelevant wrote:
jhjove wrote:"mainstream", you mean consumer? Linux in general is already a big participant in the backbone of R&D datacenters.
I don't think datacenter use has ever been considered a mainstream usage of an OS.. has it?

Personally I don't think the usage is going to change terribly much from where it is now in the home market. Unless there's a big surge of internet appliances or suchlike.

If the average consumer were honest about their needs, chances are good it wouldn't go much past facebook, email and digital photography.. with the occasional user who would listen to digital music or watch digital movies.

something that simple is well within the capabilities of any modern OS, so long as it works. Right now windows is cheap when bundled with hardware; and there's a lot more support available than there is for linux. (How are you supposed to look for assistance with a problem leaving you unable to connect to the internet when the only support available is an online forum?)

I don't think people care much for the OS on phones or smart devices, more about capabilities and they are mostly the same.. the only market that might open would be the netbook one.

Return to “Alternative Operating Systems”