Linux usb recover

This forum is for discussion of alternative operating systems such as Linux and Solaris.
Irabbit
Site Admin

Re: Linux usb recover

Post by Irabbit » February 22nd, 2012, 10:03 am

I booted to the last drive I installed ubuntu on and when the user box came up I entered ubuntu and it froze. I had to hit the power button to get out.

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » February 22nd, 2012, 12:47 pm

I installed on my wife's computer and then ran updates with only 216MB selected instead of 315. Still got the "Package operation failed" error.
"installArchives() failed"
"Extracting templates from packages: 8%%"

I went back and only 37 MB of updates were available for install. Downloaded and installed. Got "Package operation failed" error.
"installArchives() failed:Reading database..."
"Reading database...5%%"

I am now rebooting on my wife's computer. It booted up without asking for a password.
I am now shutting down my wife's computer to remove usb and will reboot on my computer with this usb.

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » February 22nd, 2012, 12:54 pm

I am now in Ubuntu on my computer and it did not ask for a password. I did get an error notification (no code) after I opened Firefox and went to this site and it ask if I wanted to report now. I said no because i don't have time and I don't know what the error was. I will keep working with this usb and see if I run into any other issues.
Now time for lunch. :D

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » February 22nd, 2012, 2:02 pm

I am not able to access the "C" drive on my computer when I am booted up on my computer. I could see the "C" drive on my wife's computer when I booted up on her computer.
OS Mount Error.png
OS Mount Error.png (12.65 KiB) Viewed 766 times
Also, I would like to be able to view hidden files/folders to see if I can get rid of the folder on my hard drive that was created in one of my previous sessions using ubuntu. How do I access what I need to change an option to view these files/folders? The only thing I can find is the following system settings:
System Settings.png
System Settings.png (76.6 KiB) Viewed 766 times
I did find one source that mentioned the "/- file management browser" and "File Management Preferences" but they did not give any information on how to get to these windows. Maybe I cannot do it in this type of install?

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » February 22nd, 2012, 2:10 pm

did u encrypt your drive?

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » February 22nd, 2012, 2:10 pm

I forgot to mention, I did check for more updates for this usb install on my wife's computer and after the 2 downloads and installs it shows no more updates available so the failed installs seem not to be pertinent to this as it is installed. Does that seem like a reasonable conclusion?

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » February 22nd, 2012, 2:12 pm

No, the drive is not encrypted. It was always visible in my other usb installs when I did the ubuntu usb install on my computer.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » February 22nd, 2012, 2:23 pm

reboot try again ...i can't duplicate anything ur running into

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » February 22nd, 2012, 2:51 pm

Rebooted on my computer. Got to the Ubuntu screen with the 5 dots which change from white to red to white, etc. Hung for an eternity so I hit F12 and got the following (if you can read this since I reduced it considerably)(one of the issues noted is was unable to find the persistent home medium):
Ubuntu IMG_0518_360x480.jpg
Ubuntu IMG_0518_360x480.jpg (60.11 KiB) Viewed 760 times

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » February 22nd, 2012, 3:01 pm

Did another by computer and got the same thing. Now booting (or trying to boot) on my wife's computer. Hanging there also. Must be the install or usb drive or both.

Return to “Alternative Operating Systems”