Linux usb recover

This forum is for discussion of alternative operating systems such as Linux and Solaris.
wd
Site Admin

Re: Linux usb recover

Post by wd » February 22nd, 2012, 11:38 pm

So hardware is out?

irrelevant
Site Admin

Post by irrelevant » February 22nd, 2012, 11:51 pm

I really don't know what it is,

bad initial download is possible and most likely because the same thing happened on 2 drives on 2 machines

second I would say is downloading files from a bad mirror

then after that some crazy hardware issue.

but $20 says its the first or second.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » February 23rd, 2012, 12:18 am

got me by the canolies ...can't duplicate it here

irrelevant
Site Admin

Post by irrelevant » February 23rd, 2012, 12:28 am

I will bet cannolis if you would prefer!

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » February 23rd, 2012, 10:24 am

I did 2 downloads from the Ubuntu site link. I am now reformatting the last usb drive I used. When I did the formats before I used "default size" for the sector size and this time I am specifying 4096, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. The bad download seems the most likely even though I have done it twice. I may also go back to not setting any persistent file system and forget the updates.

Thanks.

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » February 23rd, 2012, 11:10 am

I downloaded the iso again (3rd time), reformatted the usb drive fat32, and reinstalled Ubuntu on my wife's computer with no persistent file system. I removed from my wife's computer, shut my computer down completely and booted up to Ubuntu on my computer. Booted with no problem so far, but just getting started.

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » February 23rd, 2012, 11:22 am

Back in windoz again. I was able to access my computer "C" & "J" partitions and the external HD with no problem. I used Ubuntu to create an Excel and Word file using Calc & Writer. I saved them to my windows desktop and I was able to open, read and delete them normally. So far, so good. I will boot up again into Ubuntu a little later and see if all is well.

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » February 23rd, 2012, 12:12 pm

I am now reformatting the other usb drive. When finished I am going to re-download the install program and use that to reinstall the new ubuntu iso. On this usb I will create the persistent file and see how it works. If that seems to work, I will then download and install the updates and see what happens.

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » February 23rd, 2012, 4:51 pm

Re-formated full FAT32, installed using new program installer download and the newest download of the Ubuntu iso file. I unplugged the usb external HD before install. Created the persistent file maxed out. I am now in ubuntu and so far everything is "OK". I have not done the updates at this point. I did notice a long time to open Writer when I first booted up. But now it is coming up very fast. I created a couple of documents, Word doc in Writer & Excel xls spreadsheet in Calc and moved them to my desktop in windoz.
Firefox no problem.
I am going to shutdown for now.

wd, when you did the updates did you have the other usb devices unplugged or leave them plugged in for the updates?

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » February 23rd, 2012, 5:03 pm

yes i had other devices in when i updated

Return to “Alternative Operating Systems”