Keeping Computer After Vista

This forum is for discussion of alternative operating systems such as Linux and Solaris.
cnlearn

Keeping Computer After Vista

Post by cnlearn » April 7th, 2017, 10:31 pm

Hello,
I have joined this forum to learn more about using my current computer beyond the deadline Microsoft has set for Vista. I will start with how can I install Linux and learn how to use it? Will I need to get different drivers for everything, like printer, graphics card, etc? If I just save my files such as documents, pictures, etc. will I be able to introduce them after installing Linux? Can I somehow save my Microsoft Office and then re-install in Linux? I know many may say: just get a new computer, but I don't really want that advice. My current system works wonderfully. I think I might be up for installing Linux, but I might need some "hand-holding". Thanks for any useful replies.

WCCobra
Site Admin

Re: Keeping Computer After Vista

Post by WCCobra » April 8th, 2017, 9:30 am

There is nothing stopping you from continuing to use Vista on your PC. Microsoft is simply going to stop providing updates for the operating system. If you want to switch to Linux, then I would recommend either Mint or Ubuntu. Installing drivers are not an issue because most companies do not provide Linux drivers... so you're stuck with the generic ones. Microsoft Office is also not an option on Linux unless you purchase Office 365. There are open-source office products that have most of the features Microsoft Office has, but much less refined. Save your documents to a thumb drive or cloud service to transfer them over while you install the new operating system.

wd
Site Admin

Re: Keeping Computer After Vista

Post by wd » April 8th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Ubuntu or Fedora are good .... I have avoided Mint since its image got hacked and they put a back door on it ......Ubuntu will probably be easiest to learn
if you want to learn before making a decision you can make a Virtual Machine and install Linux on that
you can use virtual box and its extension pack and its free https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Return to “Alternative Operating Systems”