home network but can see other computers

Many of us have Small Office/Home Office Networks or want to set one up. Possibly just to share the Internet among multiple computers. This forum is about networking: set up, hardware - hubs, routers, etc.
lnjr

home network but can see other computers

Post by lnjr » October 23rd, 2010, 2:28 pm

Hello,
I have a home network set up between an desktop pc running windows xp pro (with all the updates) which is connected to the internet by way home a wireless router connection (linksys router + a linksys wireless network adapter which is plugged into the desktop so that it connects to the router). The other pc is a laptop running vista home premium and connects directly to the router wirelessly.

I primarily did this so that I can use a printer which is connected to the xp desktop machine. I just noticed that the xp machine is no longer listed in the network on the vista machine but I can still print. I can ping the vista machine from the xp machine and vice versa as well as use remote desktop connection from the vista machine to see the xp machine.

Any ideas as to why I can't view the entire network anymore. No settings have been changed on either machine. I also tried restarting both pc's but I still can't view my network.
lnjr

wd
Site Admin

Re: home network but can see other computers

Post by wd » October 23rd, 2010, 3:02 pm

probably just windows browsing acting up
if on the vista machine u click
start
run
type in
\\THE COMPUTER NAME OF THE XP BOX
hit enter
and if your shares open in a window it's just the browsing acting up
u could try rebooting both machines
if u can print it's really not a biggie

lnjr

Re: home network but can see other computers

Post by lnjr » January 12th, 2011, 7:12 am

Hello,

So very sorry that it has taken me so very very long to actually get back to you about this problem. Things have been far to chaotic around here for the past 3 months or so (with being the primary caregiver for both of my parents and the holidays) and since I could print I actually sort of forgot about it.

Anyway, I did as suggested and when I do that I do get a box showing the other computer and all the shared items and the shared printer. However, if I go to the start menu and click on "Network" it does not show the other computer or printer there. Yet if I do as suggested by going to run and typing in the name of the other computer it I get a box with all the shared items listed.

Return to “Networking”