New Gear

Many of us have Small Office/Home Office Networks or want to set one up. Possibly just to share the Internet among multiple computers. This forum is about networking: set up, hardware - hubs, routers, etc.
robotchef

New Gear

Post by robotchef » August 17th, 2011, 11:05 am

Have to start over - after a series of unfortunate events - in building a new network.
Do need router & printer suggestions. I'm thinking lower end Cisco/Linksys "N" type and Kodak (cheap ink) printer.
But am not sure if I should get or consider or even need "speed boost" or "dual band" -- Suggestions???

wd
Site Admin

Re: New Gear

Post by wd » August 17th, 2011, 12:42 pm

just set this up for a friend and demo'd it on the show
http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wire ... ksys/E4200 Cisco now owns linksys and they are doing a good job with the products
"speed boost" haven't hear that in years
avoid D-Link or Belkin

also to benefit from the N speeds all wireless cards need to be N
older cards can be used but they will only connect at the older speeds

Printers depends on what for and quality needed going with a wireless one is nice cause then you don't have to leave a shared computer on

WCCobra
Site Admin

Post by WCCobra » August 17th, 2011, 9:07 pm

A wi-fi printer would be nice, but that is not on the cheap side of things. I've always used HP printers, never tried a Kodak (never knew they made them)

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » August 17th, 2011, 9:17 pm

yeah Kodak had a promo going about using less ink than other printers
IDK if ur doing photos but i wud guess Being Kodak they might have that working to :)

Fred0843

Post by Fred0843 » August 18th, 2011, 11:21 am

I have a Kodak wireless Printer.Works great.It uses less ink then my HP printer.

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » August 18th, 2011, 12:02 pm

I gave up on HP after using them exclusively. Tried to print a picture and no matter how I sized the picture the HP would cut off about 1/8". I used up so much paper and ink trying to get what I wanted and then gave up, said some words which I should not have uttered and bought a Canon which I am well pleased with. Mine is networked but not wireless. Haven't had any experience with Kodak so can't comment on them.

robotchef

Post by robotchef » November 15th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Well - I saved my pennies and finally got my new gear. Went with the Kodak wireless printer (which works well) and a friend gave me his old Linksys WRT-54G wireless router, when he got an N.
So, I finally got a System 7 laptop with what I saved. And I started to put it all together... when one thing lead to another and now I'm stumped.

Seems my old WinXP laptop no longer connects to the network, even though the wireless network shows up. It was part of a working wireless network (that worked with a Vista machine) but when I added the Win 7... NO CONNECT happens.

Wireless printer, son's XBOX, Vista and Win 7 laptops all are connected - but something happened to old WinXP - and I've tried a bundle of possible fixes (including http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702 - even though my laptop has SP3)

Any thing else to look for or try would be appreciated.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » November 15th, 2011, 10:33 pm

so xp can't get to the internet is that what ur saying
win 7 has nothing to do with xp wireless connection
does xp have the correct wpa2 password to the router assuming u secured it
did u make sure xp matches the router requirements

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » November 15th, 2011, 10:43 pm

did u update the firmware on the router and the wireless card assuming it's not too old
geeze buy an N router

robotchef

Post by robotchef » November 16th, 2011, 12:50 pm

wd wrote:so xp can't get to the internet is that what ur saying
win 7 has nothing to do with xp wireless connection
does xp have the correct wpa2 password to the router assuming u secured it
did u make sure xp matches the router requirements
Yeah, xp worked before - wireless network show up, it just won't connect
It just happened when I connected win 7 machine (in case it matters if network was set up via one system or another)
xp does have same password (keep re-entering it) and MAC address was checked as well in list
It was working before - when I first got it from friend - but stopped working when I secured network and added win 7 machine. Which is what stumps me... and got me into checking and changing settings.

Return to “Networking”