loca network via wireless router - access to wifi?

Many of us have Small Office/Home Office Networks or want to set one up. Possibly just to share the Internet among multiple computers. This forum is about networking: set up, hardware - hubs, routers, etc.
candyj

loca network via wireless router - access to wifi?

Post by candyj » September 27th, 2011, 4:57 pm

Present setup is PTD modem to wireless router - wired XP, wired printer, wireless Win 7, all networked. Apartment complex I'm thinking of has wifi service - no wired modem. Would I just plug a wifi adaptor on the "in" side of the router to get a signal? Or would it be more complicated? I don't know the service provider, and the question is academic at the moment.

Thanks! Candy

wd
Site Admin

Re: loca network via wireless router - access to wifi?

Post by wd » September 27th, 2011, 5:02 pm

OK i'm lost
r u saying u r connected to ptd
and the apartment complex that u live in has it's own wifi thing going?
and if so what exactly are u trying to acomplish?
u trying to dump ptd and use thier stuff and if so how are they protecting it and whoelse is connecting to it and how are they protected?

candyj

Post by candyj » September 27th, 2011, 5:06 pm

My present setup is as described. If I were to move to the apartment, I'd still want to keep my present network. Question is, how do I hook up to their wifi and keep my network (some wired, some not)?

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » September 27th, 2011, 5:11 pm

depends on what they did
i've seen complexes where the owner just put a cable moden in and a switch ...no security nothing and everyone in the complex that hooked up got whacked
so depends on what they did without that info just guessing
is there a CAT5 connection in the apartment or just wifi?
u can keep ur network as is u just may not get to the internet with their config
and u are sharing that network with people u don't know so u need to think better security
so u need to get info from them

candyj

Post by candyj » September 27th, 2011, 7:28 pm

Thanks - I'm not ready to move immediately, but just wanted to get an idea of how to hookup. Agree that security is an issue if it's just a "raw" signal, no hardware firewall. Will ask the agent if/when I'm closer to making a decision.

Candy

candyj

Post by candyj » September 27th, 2011, 7:28 pm

Thanks - I'm not ready to move immediately, but just wanted to get an idea of how to hookup. Agree that security is an issue if it's just a "raw" signal, no hardware firewall. Will ask the agent if/when I'm closer to making a decision.

Candy

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » September 27th, 2011, 7:30 pm

if it's wide open and ur neighbors are also wide open not a good idea

irrelevant
Site Admin

Post by irrelevant » September 28th, 2011, 6:27 am

You should be able to have a wireless access point connect to the apartment's wifi connection wirelessly, then connect the ethernet connection to your wireless router's WAN port.

So long as your router is configured to use a different LAN subnet than theirs (Or anyone else using theirs), it should work. (If their IP range is set to 192.168.0.x, set yours to 192.168.1.x or something similar)

But however you connect, make sure you have a good firewall on your systems, and I would suggest against sharing your printer over the network at all.

Return to “Networking”