Router And Internet Connection Issues

Many of us have Small Office/Home Office Networks or want to set one up. Possibly just to share the Internet among multiple computers. This forum is about networking: set up, hardware - hubs, routers, etc.
BogeyGolf

Router And Internet Connection Issues

Post by BogeyGolf » March 8th, 2012, 10:02 am

Hi ComputerWise,

I am having a problem with my Router and Internet Connection. I have to reset my Router every couple of days because I lose my Internet Connection. The strange thing is that sometimes it is just one computer that loses Internet Connection, and other sometimes all my Computer lose internet Connection. I am running Windows 7 on two computers, and Windows XP on the other one. I have McAfee Total Protection, Superantispyware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Malwarebytes, and Windows Defender on all three computers. I did all virus and spyware scans on all the computers and there are clean. I also wanted to let you know that a Roku Box is also connected to the Router. I have a 6 year old Linksys Wired [ Not Wireless ] Router, and I do update the firmware on a regular basis. I also have changed the Password on it several times. Is it a bad Router, or could I have another issue.

Thanks!

Irabbit
Site Admin

Re: Router And Internet Connection Issues

Post by Irabbit » March 8th, 2012, 11:09 am

I had a similar type problem some time back and got a new router. At 6 years old it could be the router, but don't rush out just yet to get one until you get some more input on this.

I do want to mention when I had McAfee total protection on my computers (Windows 7) I had conflicts with additional antispyware programs running resident. I could run them for individual scans, but not have them running in the background full time. If you do not seem to be having problems, then I wouldn't worry about it.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » March 8th, 2012, 11:22 am

6yr old router ...i'd be surprised if they are still making new firmware for it
you could try to reflash the firmware incase it got corrupted .... check the power settings on your NIC cards and make sure they are not going to sleep
u might also call ur provider and have them test the modem and if that is over 6 try to get it replaced to
if u don't want to muck around with it ...then time to go shopping the cisco/linksys E seires is a nice choice

BogeyGolf

Post by BogeyGolf » March 8th, 2012, 3:13 pm

Thanks, Irabbit and WD. WD, do you think that it is a good idea to replace the modem too? The Modem is 6 years old too. Will I have a better and faster internet connection with a newer Router and Modem? My Service Provider is Blue Ridge Cable [PTD].

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » March 8th, 2012, 3:19 pm

if your provider is cable and the modem is over 6 yrs and u have intermittent disconnects ask them to swap it out ....and emphasize how old the puppy is
the new ones have a new standard that give better speed if you are getting more than 3g from cable

Return to “Networking”