Network Printer

Many of us have Small Office/Home Office Networks or want to set one up. Possibly just to share the Internet among multiple computers. This forum is about networking: set up, hardware - hubs, routers, etc.
Irabbit
Site Admin

Network Printer

Post by Irabbit » February 1st, 2013, 3:01 pm

My main printer which was connected to my 2 main computers via ethernet turned off right in the middle of a print job and I have not been able to get it to turn back on. I am thinking rather than buy another printer to replace that one I would get a wireless router so all 3 computers would have access to a wireless printer (Canon MG4220) that is currently connected directly to the 3rd printer by USB. This printer only offers USB & wireless but no ethernet connectivity. My 3 computers have no wireless cards or connections. My question is would the 2 main computers which are connected to the router by ethernet be able to access the printer through a wi-fi router. At this point I have not determined if the 3rd computer would still be able to access by USB as it currently is doing. The 3rd computer is not located so that it would be able to use the ethernet connection to the router. I am thinking I would probably have to get a wireless card for that computer. I am also thinking it would be a lot easier to just replace the printer with one that offers ethernet connectivity, but the ones I have looked at are rather large because I want it to have scan capability also - all-in-one printer. The wireless printer is an all-in-one so it already has that capability and would be nice to just use the one printer instead of having 2 in the same room.
Computers w Notes IMG_2936_1024x768.jpg
Computers w Notes IMG_2936_1024x768.jpg (110.61 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

Irabbit
Site Admin

Re: Network Printer

Post by Irabbit » February 1st, 2013, 3:46 pm

I now remember something that happened last night. My lights which I have on an automated system would not work and I finally determined I had not turned off my wireless printer when I had finished using it. I normally just keep it turned off unless I am actually printing something and I normally only use the 3rd computer that it is hooked up to once a week, so all of that setup stays turned off most of the time. That means it will not be something I can keep on all the time for use by the other computers. I guess I will just have to buy another printer for my 2 main computers.

wd
Site Admin

Re: Network Printer

Post by wd » February 1st, 2013, 9:23 pm

WHAT?
i can't even read that again call me

Return to “Networking”