Printer networking password unknown - help?

Many of us have Small Office/Home Office Networks or want to set one up. Possibly just to share the Internet among multiple computers. This forum is about networking: set up, hardware - hubs, routers, etc.
louisemains

Printer networking password unknown - help?

Post by louisemains » September 5th, 2014, 10:54 am

I installed a more secure wireless router for my Sister whose husband died recently, and the printer keeps dropping off the connection, so I went in to assign it a static IP address so the network would recognize it as a permanent fixture on the network. I changed the address on the machine (HP Color LaserJet 2840), but when I try to change it on the computer that it's networked from, I keep getting thwarted by a password loop: When I press the printer Networking Tab, I get this message: <Server at HP device requires a username and password>. Her hb has a bazillion slips of small papers with various passwords scattered about, but we CANNOT find this password. Is there some kind of work around? Hope someone can help - HP does not support this printer any longer, but it is a good printer and works well.

wd
Site Admin

Re: Printer networking password unknown - help?

Post by wd » September 5th, 2014, 2:52 pm

On the printer try pressing menu look around for service and see if you find reset factory defaults but that will blow away everything if it's like other models

louisemains

Re: Printer networking password unknown - help?

Post by louisemains » September 5th, 2014, 9:43 pm

Will try that if she can reload what she needs - thanks.

Return to “Networking”