windows 8 :

ComputerWiseTV show with our favorite Host George Roberts - at 7 PM Wednesdays on Blue Ridge Communications Channel 13. Service Electric Channel 2. This is the place to discuss the show, ask or answer questions on show topics
jhjove

windows 8 :

Post by jhjove » October 26th, 2012, 12:54 pm

George, I saw your windows8 portion of the computerwise tv show the other night.
I do not understand why are you scaring people to buy new PCs to get windows7.
Windows8 has a Desktop button. It'll take the user to the familiar arena of a windows 7-like desktop.

If you and other telemarketers for microsoft are preaching this erroneous info then microsoft should
be prepared for the Deja Vu called Vista.

WCCobra
Site Admin

Re: windows 8 :

Post by WCCobra » October 26th, 2012, 5:14 pm

I did not see the show, but there are many things different between Windows 7 and Windows 8. I do not consider Windows 8 to be user friendly for a desktop/laptop user, and it certainly has a bit of a learning curve to it. I was not a huge fan of Vista (it was quite frankly a broken OS) or of Windows 7 (still a bloated OS)... but both were still easy to transition to for Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP users. It is true that Windows 8 keeps the traditional Desktop environment, but Microsoft has made it very obvious that they do not want you to use it. They hid the it away from the user, removed second nature functionality, and force the user back into the mobile touch interface even on non-touch-enabled devices. This is down right bad design. Market analysts have already projected poor Desktop/Laptop sales, and all major manufacturers (HP/Dell/Lenovo/etc... except for Apple of course) have cut their projected Desktop/Laptop sales for next year.

I'm sure Microsoft will be relatively successful in the mobile market (Phones/Tablets), but in all honesty Google and Apple dominate the Phone market and I do not see that changing anytime soon... and tablets really are not doing as spectacular as the media would like you to think. The major manufactures will be cranking out more hybrids (a tablet that comes with or can be attached to a keyboard) to try and compensate. They will also push more all-in-one touch screen PCs, but they people I know who actually one of these say they never use the touch features.

We'll see how it all turns out, but I think Microsoft is really going to struggle with Windows 8 and most business will avoid it.

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » October 26th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Losing the business customer base will be a big loss regardless of the personal user. I think MS shot themselves in the foot on this one.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » October 27th, 2012, 11:23 am

I doubt Geoge will see your post so you should email hime at his computerwise email address
go to comnputerwisetv.com and under his pic click email me

Dennis

Post by Dennis » May 30th, 2015, 7:17 pm

I have windows 8.1 installed on my machine, it took a wile to get used to to. but it ok. the only problem I have are finding the tools to make windows run smooth, but I found them it took a wile to find them (disk cleaner, disk defragmentore)
but its a good operating system.

Return to “ComputerWise Show”