asks for Password

Post your questions here and our members will take a shot at helping you find the answers.
moze1

asks for Password

Post by moze1 » November 23rd, 2017, 10:48 am

wife has a Windows 7 HP All-In-One... never had a password. Today at bootup dialogue box is asking for a password. THERE NEVER WAS A PASSWORD! always booted up by turning on the power. How do I get past this dialogue box? I tried punching F8 to get into Safe Mode but was unsuccessful.... I can sometimes get an offer for Repair Mode but nothing gets fixed.... thanx... moze@ptd.net

WCCobra
Site Admin

Re: asks for Password

Post by WCCobra » November 23rd, 2017, 8:09 pm

Sounds like ransomware.

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » November 23rd, 2017, 8:52 pm

You can check this and see if it will help: https://www.iseepassword.com/how-to-byp ... sword.html If it is ransomeware, this will probably not help.
If it is ransomeware you can take a look at this: https://blog.emsisoft.com/2017/02/16/ho ... cker170217.
After you do whatever you have to do then I would recommend getting a program like Acronis and making disk images on a regular basis for all your computers.

moze1

Post by moze1 » November 24th, 2017, 4:21 pm

Thanx Guys! Got to the bottom of it.... unknown to me, my wife took a phone call from a scammer and left him move the mouse as he was searching for a corrupted ISP Address.... for anyone reading this... DON'T EVER LET ANYONE MOVE THE MOUSE AND CONTROL YOUR COMPUTER. THEY WILL INFECT YOU! Go to Palmerton (Computer Patrol) or a known reliable local technician (who can actually speak English). Don't ever call a 1-800 #. (or talk with an incoming caller).... took 2 days for my wife to confess! [g]

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » November 26th, 2017, 7:36 pm

you should really have a password on your account that u create and you should also have a separate account that does not have admin rights with a good different password

Return to “Computer Help and Support”