Installing a new hard drive in a windows 10 Dell Tower

Post your questions here and our members will take a shot at helping you find the answers.
countdavid

Installing a new hard drive in a windows 10 Dell Tower

Post by countdavid » April 5th, 2018, 5:13 pm

I have a question if I use the free Backupper program and create a bootable flash drive with backupper and back up my hard drive on a external hard making a system image using Backupper will that bring my computer up and running the way it was when I install a new hard drive. Thank you Dave Bethlehem, Pa.

WCCobra
Site Admin

Re: Installing a new hard drive in a windows 10 Dell Tower

Post by WCCobra » April 5th, 2018, 8:33 pm

I have never used it, but I would think it's unlikely. I don't think the system will see the flash drive as the C:\. If it did boot, then it would run very, very, very slowly.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » April 6th, 2018, 12:29 pm

if you can make an image to the external drive and then boot the usb with the software and see the image and see then new drive partition to restore it should work but you need to restore all partitions not just C to the new drive and like cobra never used it so not sure how fussy it is if new drive is bigger than old drive etc I would go thru their documentation before trying it

countdavid

Post by countdavid » April 6th, 2018, 4:09 pm

If this won"t work then is the way to go to clone a new hard and put it away on the self till needed and do you need to create Microsoft Windows 10 recovery flash dive I always use to format my flash drives with fat32 what is the best way now exfat or NTFS Is there anything posted or can be posted the steps you must take to replace a hard drive on the fan forum. Thank You. Dave

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » April 6th, 2018, 4:14 pm

best image backup and ability to resize partitions etc is Acronis Workstation

Return to “Computer Help and Support”