Loading Image after Replacing Hard Drive Win10

Post your questions here and our members will take a shot at helping you find the answers.
louisemains

Loading Image after Replacing Hard Drive Win10

Post by louisemains » May 21st, 2018, 3:02 am

I don't usually come here to bother you fine folks until I've tried to exhaust everything, but I have "googled" my life away the last couple of days, and I seem to be blocked with every angle I try, not to mention seriously sleep deprived. I enjoy watching Warren espouse his vast wisdom when he's on with George, so maybe he or one of you other geniuses can help?

I replaced a 1G hard drive in my sister's HP Envy 23 Recline AIO, but before I did I made sure I had a good system image (from Win10 tools) on an external HDD. I have done everything but spit wooden nickels to get this system image loaded onto the new drive, and still can't - it won't mount the drive - tried all sorts of workarounds to no avail - it says the format of the external drive with the image is wrong - reformatted it from FAT32 to NTFS to no avail - it simply WILL NOT reload this image (thank you Microsoft?). I reloaded a Win10 OS, but STILL can't get the image to reload.

I'm in computer hell and know just enough to be dangerous. On a separate, but related topic, I have used CCleaner successfully for years on my Win7 computer (never will again), but the last time I used it, it totally DESTROYED my OS, and I can't get it to point to my system image (again from Windows) or really to do anything at all. I have tried multitudinous ways of altering the bootup sequence in the BIOS to point to my drives and a fresh OS USB drive to at least reload an OS, but it just refuses to boot to anywhere I tell it to - it gives me the option, then ignores, it. I just want an OS, so I can reload my image. The hardware is perfectly fine but there is no MBR, and it ignores my boot commands.

I'm hoping I can't be the only person that's involved in this frustration. I've read numerous other accounts, but none of the many work arounds have brought me success.

WCCobra
Site Admin

Re: Loading Image after Replacing Hard Drive Win10

Post by WCCobra » May 21st, 2018, 6:13 pm

So the old drive is now an external hard drive that you are connecting to the PC via USB? What is the exact error message you get when you plug it in?

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » May 22nd, 2018, 6:31 am

did you pick this ? and select all partitions ? or just c ????
imagBU.JPG
imagBU.JPG (19.52 KiB) Viewed 91 times
allfiles.JPG
allfiles.JPG (49.07 KiB) Viewed 88 times

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » May 22nd, 2018, 6:34 am

do you still have the old hard drive ?

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » May 22nd, 2018, 10:05 am

also what exactly are u doing ….. STEPS to restore the image from what ? are you booting a clean win10 ISO or what ?

louisemains

Post by louisemains » May 22nd, 2018, 10:09 am

Yep - still have the old drive that I used for the system image (my sister's computer) - I don't have a problem until I try to restore the image, and it gives me cryptic messages about the drive format - I've had it as FAT32 and NTFS - I don't have the exact message right now, but it will not load the image from any external drive - right now I'm using my keyboard and mouse to try to reinstall MY computer. I at least installed an OS (Win10), but when I try to restore my Win7 image, the architecture doesn't match, so I tried to get a fresh install of 7 from MS, but when I put my product key in, they wouldn't play - it was an OEM (Dell).

louisemains

Post by louisemains » May 22nd, 2018, 10:10 am

I booted a clean Win10 on MY computer, and am trying to restore system images stored on external drives.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » May 22nd, 2018, 10:15 am

so you are going to update and recovery and picking the image file ? is that what is telling you is no good and you should not change the format of the image if that is what you are saying
this is why I use Acronis and NOT windows
if you can boot the old drive I would do an Acronis backup ,.... make the bootable media and restore that way

louisemains

Post by louisemains » May 22nd, 2018, 2:17 pm

Okay, after another all-nighter, I think I may have my issues solved - made a recovery usb that somehow allowed the system image to load on my sister's computer - fingers crossed - it's working on it right now - a good sign, b/c before it refused to read the file because of drive formats, on an on. On my computer, I managed to download an iso of Win7, and hopefully when I restore that it will allow me to access my image there since there will no longer be "different system architectures", although I seem to remember that when I first loaded Win10 on that computer, I tried an unsuccessful rollback and restored it with a Win7 image - don't know what changed. Hope I didn't confuse you with all these ramblings, and thanks for attempting to help :)

louisemains

Post by louisemains » May 22nd, 2018, 2:20 pm

And to your point about Acronis vs Windows images - couldn't agree MORE. I ordered Acronis from Amazon in 2015 and could never make it work, though I had used it successfully before that. I think I remember it's not finicky about external drives over 2G like Windows? I'm going to give it another whirl - done with Windows - should have switched to MAC years ago.

Return to “Computer Help and Support”