Do you really need backups?

Let's discuss your opinions, suggestions, ideas, etc. related to software and technology.
Irabbit
Site Admin

Do you really need backups?

Post by Irabbit » May 23rd, 2015, 4:17 pm

I have a computer that I have been using as a stand alone off line computer for my financial data. I used it Tuesday 05/19/2015 and it completed all my work satisfactorily. I then shut it down as I always do and saw no indication of any difficulty. When I started it back up today for the first time since shutting it down on Tuesday to do some work I got a "Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure". I had not received any indication of a problem prior to this when I booted up today - the problem just showed up as it started to boot.

It is not a case of will it happen, only when it will happen and there is a good chance you will get no warning that would allow you to make a backup.

wd
Site Admin

Re: Do you really need backups?

Post by wd » May 24th, 2015, 11:14 am

if you can make an image I would do it now
you might want to boot to command prompt and do chkdsk /r and let it run (takes a while)
if you need to rescue it check out spinrite at https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm this program has gotten bad drives to come up long enough to backup
video about spinrite https://www.grc.com/sr/whatitdoes.htm (SSD drives you do not want to use this without research)

but as rabbit says would be better to already have a backup / also helps if you get nailed with ransomware

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » May 24th, 2015, 12:20 pm

Already have 4 backups of the data and have ordered a new copy of Quicken which I will install on my computer. The current computer is probably 14 years old and is ready to die no matter what. The data does not display correctly even though I have been able to boot to windows. Now just waiting for my new quicken disk. In the meantime I can use a flash drive copy of the data on my wife's computer to keep up-to-date. I did that today and then went to my computer and made copies on my other flash drive and 2 cd's. Don't want to keep the data on my wife's computer because I don't have a secure area for it. At some point after windows 10 comes out I may get a cheap computer which I can keep off line and go back to that for this proprietary data.

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » May 24th, 2015, 6:03 pm

I resolved the issue as completely as I know how. I removed the hard drive with contents encrypted. I destroyed the connecting pins, tore the control board apart, then drilled holes around the drive and then put oil in the holes. At least it will be quite a mess if anyone wants to restore anything.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » May 25th, 2015, 11:43 am

what no magnet lol

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » May 25th, 2015, 1:27 pm

I would love to have a large degausser! lol

jacobcarl

Post by jacobcarl » July 28th, 2016, 6:00 am

Is there any compact device to store 1TB of data. so i can carry easily .

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » July 28th, 2016, 11:31 am

there are usb 3 drives you can get https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... hard+drive
also for you drive giving seek error if you ever need it this is a good tool to have it's called spinrite get it at grc.com ....not free but worth the money for drive maint ...even saw it save an SSD drive

Return to “Tech Talk”