Sophos AV free for home users now

Let's discuss your opinions, suggestions, ideas, etc. related to software and technology.
Irabbit
Site Admin

Re: Sophos AV free for home users now

Post by Irabbit » January 1st, 2016, 6:59 pm

After so many years of use, if they gathered anything of importance and are not using it or selling it for use by someone else, I am not losing any sleep. I do know they have to be gathering some sort of information, but it is not being used in a manner that is detrimental to our well being. If this was new, that would be a different story, but years of experience and not having any news stories to indicate anything different it does not seem to be a problem that will cause any concern. I also know for a fact that my wife is not the only one printing coupons and I am sure the volume of people who do this would create a news item and a security notice from various sources if it was doing anything worthy of such notice.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » January 1st, 2016, 7:38 pm

u still don't know what it is actually doing just cause it hasn't hurt u personally ...that alone would keep me from using it ...even if it never personally caused me harm I don't like anything installed on my system that installs extras that phone home even if it never hurts me...to me system integrity is still compromised

so anyone thinking of using these things should consider that is doing more than it says

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » January 1st, 2016, 10:10 pm

I also know for absolute certain that is not the only thing gathering information on what is done. Every time a transaction is made, which includes just looking at something, data is being gathered. If I am on the web, data is being gathered and I don't know exactly what that is or how it is being used. All of this type of thing is a potential problem, but until it is shown that harm is being caused, then it is potential, not actual. Possibilities are endless, what I need are probabilities of harm.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » January 1st, 2016, 11:22 pm

use what u want .....I would never put that kind of thing on my system......
I don't think I would want to lock the door after I got robbed :)

Return to “Tech Talk”