Sophos AV free for home users now

Let's discuss your opinions, suggestions, ideas, etc. related to software and technology.
wd
Site Admin

Sophos AV free for home users now

Post by wd » October 21st, 2015, 9:29 pm

Sophos AV is not free for home users on the PC has been on the MAC for a while but now for pc to
https://www.sophos.com/en-us/lp/sophos- ... 001xHGaAAM

Irabbit
Site Admin

Re: Sophos AV free for home users now

Post by Irabbit » October 22nd, 2015, 11:32 am

Looks good. From what I can see I would need a firewall in addition to this. Is that correct?

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » October 22nd, 2015, 2:54 pm

I don't know if it's like the paid version where you can install the sofas firewall which by the way is really a tough firewall and mostly annoying to regular users
I install the antivirus and then just turn windows firewall on

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » October 22nd, 2015, 4:40 pm

Thanks

lmhjcr

Post by lmhjcr » November 5th, 2015, 9:19 am

I went to the link using the link from the computerwisetv.com site for sophos as well as the one you have posted here. I then clicked the get started and that screen takes me to sign up for an account....but it also says BETA on that screen. I am just not sure that I should be removing the Avast and switching to a BETA version of an anti-virus program.

I know that you (Warren) have been using Sophos for years and have always recommended it and now that they have a home version I would switch from Avast. I just want to make sure since it says BETA on their screen at https://home.sophos.com/reg

Thanks.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » November 5th, 2015, 9:46 am

once I started cleaning up computers using avast i stopped recommending avast years ago ...Sophos doing beta doesn't really scare me as much as avast missing stuff .....try it don't try it ....
i can't imagine the database is any different then their paid version

lmhjcr

Post by lmhjcr » November 5th, 2015, 10:30 am

Just wanted to make sure. I have not had any issues with the Avast free version, but I know that you have recommended Sophos for years and now that they have a free version I was ready to jump right in. Will uninstall Avast and install Sophos (already created the account and downloaded the software - just wanted your opinion before switching)

Thanks Again :)

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » November 5th, 2015, 11:05 am

like i said once i had to clean up pc's using avast i never installed it again on a pc

anytime u deal with free you need to back urself up with the online scans etc ....and judgment when ur surf or open emails

lmhjcr

Post by lmhjcr » November 5th, 2015, 11:11 am

I uninstalled Avast and tried installing Sophos but got a screen after the uninstall and reboot telling me it could not be installed with Avast also installed on the computer. Have downloaded the Avast uninstall utility, run that, rebooted and then ran ccleaner before trying to install it again. Waiting on the install process now which says it takes about 15 minutes to complete.

In the meantime I went to install it on my older laptop running Vista Home Premium and unfortunately the Sophos Home OS requirements are for Windows 7 and up. So I guess I will be keeping Avast Free on the old laptop. At leas I rarely use the laptop anymore.

Thanks Again :)

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » November 5th, 2015, 11:17 am

yeah support for Vista and XP dead and soon win 7 is going to go the way of the t-rex

Return to “Tech Talk”