Spam Email

Let's discuss your opinions, suggestions, ideas, etc. related to software and technology.
Irabbit
Site Admin

Spam Email

Post by Irabbit » June 10th, 2016, 10:40 am

They are getting more devious. I received a number of spam emails showing a "From" address of (various)@vthvax.devzuzzier.com. I went to my ptd wemail to set up a filter to delete anything that a "From" address contained "@vthvax.devzuzzier" but it was not recognized and would not process and delete the emails. I also tried using a "From" filter " of "vthvx" only, "devzuzzier" only and no matter how I defined it the filter would not process the emails and delete them. I contacted PTD support and the person I talked to gave me various filter options to try which did not work and then he put me on hold and went for other help. They tried everything they could think of and nothing would provide a way to filter that "From" address. I ask if they looked through the email header to see if anything showed that could be used and he said they did, but nothing was shown that would filter the email. I am assuming that what is being displayed is not what is actually in the "From" field and they could not offer any help in trying to determine what is actually in the "From" field. So far, this is the only emails that I have received that I am not able to filter. I can, of course, delete them individually, but I cannot set a filter to automatically delete any that use that "From" field.

wd
Site Admin

Re: Spam Email

Post by wd » June 10th, 2016, 7:19 pm

so if u filter devzuzzier.com it won't take it ?

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » June 10th, 2016, 9:39 pm

That is correct. There is no way to define a filter name that it will process against those emails.You can use the various options for the "From" field such as "Contains", "Matches exactly", "Wildcard expression" and create any complete or variation of what is shown in the "From" window and it still does not process against the emails.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » June 11th, 2016, 11:04 am

whhhhaaaat you can't block the entire domain period ...what kind of dumb *^^%^$)_ system is that what about blocking all email from @*.dezuzzier.com if it doesn't take that time for new email provider

you should be able to put hat in withoug picking from or to or anything just the whole domain

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » June 11th, 2016, 11:47 am

Yes. I can block the domain, but blocking "*.com" blocks a whole lot more that I want to block.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » June 11th, 2016, 12:07 pm

no not .com ..... just that domain.com

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » June 11th, 2016, 1:26 pm

Here is what the "From" field in one of the emails is displayed: "FingerhutFriends@vthvax.devzuzzier.com". There is no partial, variation, combination or using the complete address as displayed that will be detected and automatically deleted. I am actually not sure even if I did use "*.com" if it would be detected for this email since I don't see how nothing in any form that is being displayed is not detected.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » June 11th, 2016, 1:42 pm

just put in dezuzzier.com and block just that domain the should not matter what it leads with

Irabbit
Site Admin

Post by Irabbit » June 11th, 2016, 9:18 pm

Doesn't work. No variation of any part works.

wd
Site Admin

Post by wd » June 11th, 2016, 9:32 pm

then their system is hosed cause I can do that on multiple email packages and my firewall and they did not offer to block the domain on their end or at least blacklist it
I can do ban
desuzzier.com
@*.desuzzier.com
my web interface allows both

Return to “Tech Talk”